Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New Hampshah!

hey Hey hey hey,

So I'm now installed in my internship with NHPR in Concord, which is a pretty sweet town. I've been carpooling with my MA because gas is wicked expensive (though nothing compared to Keene, NY). And since she goes to work at 6:45am that means I've been doing my training down here a lot. Which is pretty good because the roads are very nice compared to Gilmanton (and Lewiston). The internship is characterized by some boredom, and some excitement. Every now and then I'm given stupid busy work jobs, but sometimes the guy I'm working with puts something that seems like way more responsibilty than I should be having heaped onto my plate. An example: last week he had me edit, start to finish, an interview with a lawyer who represents guantanamo detainees. I had to turn a 15 minute interview into 3:20 worth of radio, and got to choose what was put on the air and what wasn't. They didn't check my work before it was aired, they were just like, "yeah you probably did good."
And then some days I just call people.
I also just got back from a trip to the Bay of Fundy with Aubrey. We sea kayaked there. Here's one picture, and I will put up some more later. The place is crazy. Just absolutely crazy. We were there during a Spring tide, and very near to the perigee(I think... right Gill). So that meant that the tides were HUGE. We're talking a 40 foot tidal range. The tide would come in six horizontal inches in a minute. And tide pools up there were actually more like lakes. Fishing boats can only come into port at certain times of the day, and are suspended by cranes the rest of the time. At one point I was scrubbing my cooking pot with sand down by the shore as the tide was going out. I filled it, scrubbed for about a minute and reached out to rinse, but by that time the water was already out of my reach. Crazy.
And also sweet sea kayaking. I'll get some more pictures soon. I miss you guys. And really enjoy the blog. Keep posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment