Sunday, January 24, 2016

Colby Carnival

Lewiston, ME- It turns out that I'm getting progressively worse at deadlines the longer I spend out of classes. It's 10pm and I just started my blog post. I'm not sure I could handle any essays right now. But fortunately, my responsibilities right don't extend beyond basic spellcheck on this blog.

Anyways, for anyone so caught up in NFL playoffs they didn't spend their entire weekend glued to Bart Timing watching the live results, Bates had a pretty good weekend. Overall, we finished 7th place (alpine and nordic combined), which is pretty respectable in my books. Our ladies finished 6th on Saturday and a blistering 4th today, while we finished 6th yesterday and tied for 5th today.

Saturday: Saturday was the Mass Start 15k Classic, for both the men and the women. Us guys started at the frightfully early hour of 10am, and in what I thought were quite frigid conditions. So frigid, in fact, that we did not use Rode Blue Multigrade, but instead some strange wax in black containers covered in what looked like Finnish. It must have worked because we had some of the fastest skis out there, which was good news for us in the chaos of a mass start. It was one of the roughest starts I've been in for a long time, and lots of people went down. But it's a three lap race, so even if you found yourself wrapped around a tree you had some time to try and make it up.

On that strand of thought, Henry Colt earned MVP of the weekend for skiing 1.5k of hard downhill with a single ski and a single pole. His teammates were not much help: when we finally got him a ski it was the wrong type of binding. It took Halie quote "running as fast as I've ever moved" to ensure he could finish on two skis. So props to Henry!

The women's team was out in force, and Gracie showed some real grit skiing to a PR of 12th place! I got to watch their race from the comfort of the steepest hill, and so I saw everyone's best pain face. The effort everyone put out was impressive.

Sunday: Sunday started even early than Saturday, but it more than made up for it in awesomeness. We had solid performances all around, and nordie alumni Lucas and Caroline showed up accompanied by the always popular nordie groupie Peter Cole. The story of the day was our women's C relay team of Helen and Halie fought their way into a scoring position, despite being in a whole different wave than the majority of the competitive field. Helen crushed the scramble, and Halie, no doubt warmed up from her run the day before, led an incredible finishing lap that put her 20 seconds in front of the next finisher and in an unbelievable 8th place overall. So that was fun.

All in all, it was a great two days to be a Bobcat (but then again it always is). Here are some pictures taken by yours truly, I'll add more taken by someone actually competent as soon as I can find some to steal borrow. Plus, I might actually get all our Junior bios out sometime. Not tonight though, because there are six of us and I'm rather lazy.

Gracie skiing the downhill. The boys were in the background yelling "French fries!"

Sadie probably won't like this picture, but she crushed it so whatever.

Britta making a very tired tuck

Awww yea, Gracie killing it in the relay.

No comments:

Post a Comment