Friday, March 6, 2015

The Power of Smiling, Laughter, and an Occasional Russian Accent

Today the inevitable fact hit me that we are entering spring. Granted, it was still -2 outside when I got up this morning, but the sun is out and the temperatures are finally out of the single digits. I've been riding the high feeling of the last week of practice, but am suddenly realizing that it's coming to a close. This year, I reminded myself that carnival season goes by fast, but I still came out not realizing just how fast.

The ski team is beginning the branching out process that begins in March, otherwise known as the worst month at Bates College. We had a crew board flights to Truckee for Junior Nationals this morning, Hallie leaves for NCAAs on Sunday, some of us are still doing intervals in hopes of winning a sick backpack at the Sugarloaf marathon, and others are taking a break. Regardless of what direction each of us are taking, I find this time of year important for reflection (yes, I know I seem to only write blog posts about this).

I was talking to my Mom the other day about the process of processing my season. I said, "Well, I didn't make my goal, and I've cried a lot, but I've also smiled more than I ever have in a ski season." That about sums it up for me. There have been ups, downs, disappointments, and triumphs over the past few weeks for everyone. There has been something resoundingly different for me, though, and  it's my attitude. I've told several people that my main goal this season was to remind myself of why I love skiing so much, and this is a goal I am happy to say I've achieved.

The power of optimism is real, and I'm not saying that means being happy all the time because I'm certainly not. I can safely say that optimism is what has kept me going this season. It has allowed me to recognize the development I've made over last year, despite not making my goal and it has reminded me that I do this sport because I love it, not because I have to. It isn't only my optimism that has made this season so special, however, because everyone on the team has been just as optimistic.

When we were in Lake Placid last weekend, Tara was sick, very sick. She arrived in full, maybe I'll say fuller, form on Friday morning saying, "I speak in Russian accent to be optimistic". Yes, she continued to speak in a Russian accent all Friday, then all Saturday. I caught on eventually, and we are still trying to speak to each other in normal voices a week later. Regardless, that kind of optimism, when things were looking grim, brought her two solid races and kept everyone laughing in a high-pressure weekend.

It's moments like these that have been happening all season. We've picked each other up. We've laughed a lot. We've celebrated. When it was over, I cried. I was sad that it was over because it really had been the most fun six weeks of the year. This feeling is one that only we can jump off of to develop, to believe in ourselves, and to achieve our goals.

A few weeks ago, my old coach, Rick Kapala, sent these wise words, "Racing and competition can be a tough road. You work really hard and sometimes the results come and sometimes they don’t and sometimes the why is not immediately obvious. But this much we know. We can only make progress if we keep trying. EVERY and we mean EVERY skier who has reached their goals has had setbacks. Every one of them. That is why we continually stress how important it is to love the sport of xc skiing and to love the experience of being a skier.. the ski life continues --- ready to offer its rewards to those who love the life."

Keep the love going Bobcats!

Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment