Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Project Soul Food

Here we are, nearing the end of the summer, which for college skiers means that the time of endless outdoor training and adventuring is coming to a close and we will be reunited with our teams (!!!!) and with our school books! It is also a time when people like me remember that the wisdom teeth we haven’t had time to get taken out for the past 3 years REALLY need to come out, and now.

So after a couple months of being outside for 12+ hours everyday, landscaping and training, I managed to work my way onto the oral surgeon’s crammed schedule and got those bad boys forcibly yanked from my head. This is an experience that nearly everyone has had, so I’m sure you all understand why I was rendered incapable of doing much other than sit on the couch with ice bags around my head and drink smoothies. While this may sound like quite a treat to some people, it felt like some type of cruel punishment and I was sick of it after the first 2 hours. I was so desperate that feeling well enough to go for a short walk up the street on the second day was complete blessing.

Just a over a week ago I was definitely ready for my recovery day, when I could just relax after so many hours of training and a busy work week. Then suddenly all of this “relaxing” was driving me crazy! You know that itchy under your skin feeling that you get when you are parted from your passion? I get it when I am traveling for long periods of time, if I am injured, or, in this case, after I got my wisdom teeth out. Well, I have a theory about that itchy feeling; I think it is the feeling of a hungry soul.

I don’t know if our souls like active life styles because we are athletes or if we are athletes because our souls like active life styles, but one way or the other the two things work well together. Anyway, I think that adventuring and being active in many different forms is fuel for the soul. If a healthy diet for our bodies is balanced with lots of fruits and vegis, whole grains, proteins, etc. then a healthy diet for the soul would be well balanced with interval sessions, strength workouts, obstacle courses in the park, adventure runs/hikes, rollerskiing, actual skiing, playing speed ball with the team, rock climbing, family fun time, kayaking, yoga, you name it! Most importantly, just as good food should be enjoyed and shared with good company, so too should the adventuring for the soul be shared with great teammates who you love and trust and with whom you can create mounds of positive energy to grow stronger physically, mentally, and in the soul. It’s time for the wolf pack to be reunited, under two weeks!!

Looking forward to this year's adventures!

-Janey

No comments:

Post a Comment