Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Keep on keepin' on

Last summer I found myself struggling to motivate myself to train or get out and do fun activities. Thankfully, the transition during my first year here at Bates helped re-initiate the love and passion I have the sport. After finishing the season, I was (and still am!) so excited for the next season. I could not wait to do some hard intervals, or put in the long ODs, or even take the time to stretch and do core. What I wanted was to be able to go into the next season in much better shape than last year, and be able to perform the way I know I can. Boy have I been put to the test.

This summer has been one of those times that seem to go on for ages, but when you look back everything seems to have gone so fast. I have been at home in Summit County (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon, Keystone), CO for most of the summer. I am doing half-day construction work, and then training on the flip mostly by myself. Strangely, I expected myself to have motivation at the start of the summer and then slowly lose that motivation as I get closer to the school year due to a lack of training partners. But my motivation has actually been growing more and more. I think it is because I am back at home in the mountains. I missed them so much during the school year, so now I just want to continue being in them and make the most out of every opportunity.

The occasional workouts I have with teammates and friends have helped me to stay motivated. I have dropped in on some workouts with Summit Nordic Ski Club and it has been great being able to switch things up with them. For strength I have been doing a good bit of rock climbing with my family, and friends. I have been doing some multi-pitches with my dad’s coworker and we plan to climb the Diamond on Longs Peak before I head back East.

Even though I miss the team, I think that being home has been good for me. It has allowed me to really find myself again, and know that I am not doing Nordic because I feel obliged to. I am doing it because of the experiences it yields. The unforgettable outdoor experiences, the ability to be content with being alone with my thoughts, being able to race, feeling accomplished after a workout, being able to test myself, meeting other people who share the love for these experiences, and knowing that in the end I’ll be happy with all of the time I’ve put in.

Readers, I ask you to do one favor for me within the next couple of weeks. Go do something outside by yourself. Whether it be a walk, run, bike, ski, or swim just go and do it. No music devices allowed. Listen and observe what’s around you and just be reminded of who you are and how rad it is to be outside.

I've also been racing mountain bikes. I ended up losing my brakes due to mud and rain with a mile and a half to go on the downhill so I had to run my bike for some portions of the downhill. It was intense and I'm surprised I survived a couple of turns right after my brakes went out.

Taking a quick break by Lake Dillon on my first classic rollerski at home back in June.

Summit has an outstanding bike path system. It goes all around the county and provides some really great views.

I love getting above treeline!


This is from this past Saturday when I joined the Summit, Boulder, and Vail Nordic clubs on a large OD day. It was perfect to wrap up the volume week with this 3.5 hour and 14 mile run/hike from Vail to Frisco, and then a sweet 2.5 hour rollerski from Dillon to the top of Vail Pass.


Johann has been a pretty good training partner cause he never seems to slow down.

I am counting down the days to Connor’s training camp. I cannot wait to train with the guys again, but in the meantime I will be satisfied with the mountains as my training partners.
Keep on keepin’ on


Wade Rosko 

No comments:

Post a Comment